Monday, January 25, 2010

Yes, Father. I Will Become a Blogger.

You may have noticed sparse updates recently, and that's for a few reasons. First, I still haven't found a steady source of income and robbing a movie theater for viewings of popular films is not only a complicated idea to explain, but an even more complicated one to execute.

Second, I'm lost at sea with only my Michael Bay retrospective to keep me anchored in the harbor of sanity. This is an official statement: I will accept requests. Something you'd like to discuss? Hear another opinion on? It can be individual films, an entire series of films or, fuck, nothing to do with film at all. If you want a co-pilot on something blog-related, just ask. Most of you know me on Facebook and my email is burnbeforereading@gmail.com. I have no intention of painting myself into a corner with this blog and am open to any and all suggestions. The original intention for this blog was for it to be community based and request oriented.

If all of you turn out to be total chumps and can't come up with something cool, I'll probably do a Kevin Smith retrospective.

9 comments:

Yourfavoritecousin said...

Review The Office, you can borrow full seasons from me.

Cassandra-Leo said...

Lost retrospective? it would take a shitload of time but I'd absolutely love to read your detailed thoughts on it.

Failing that I'd love to see reviews of Blade Runner or Pan's Labyrinth from you.

Oliver said...

Guillermo Del Toro is a good possibility for a retrospective, actually. If I had time before Lost came back on the air I would be game for that, but I don't want to be combing through the Lostchives while trying to keep up with the last season which is sure to be an absolutely harrowing experience.

I'll think about a Blade Runner review. Normally I like to avoid films with tons of literature already written on them, but I'll make an exception for you, Aaron, and give it serious thought.

Devin D said...

Let's do the Bourne trilogy. Or something strange like Jon Favreau films.

Oh shit. A Steven fuckin' Soderbergh retrospective. The notion is a bit of a mind-fuck in itself.

Oliver said...

I'm game for Bourne. I own all the films, so that would be easy enough. Soderbergh would be NUTS. If you want to do Soderbergh I'm more than up for that. I was just thinking earlier today that I still consider Out of Sight his best film.

For now, though, some friends suggested a look at the indie movie phenomenon with films like Garden State, Juno and Little Miss Sunshine. I'm very happy with the suggestions I've received.

Devin D said...

Out of Sight. You and I are in total, absolute, 100% agreement.

Oliver said...

That's out of sight, man. It just seems strange that for someone as artistically ambitious as Soderbergh to have their best film be such a breezy comedy. But seriously, Out of Sight is some kind of masterpiece.

Cassandra-Leo said...

A Guillermo del Toro retrospective would be awesome. Bourne trilogy and Jon Favreau films are also good suggestions. I need to see more Soderbergh but I suspect he would also make excellent material for a retrospective.

As for Lost, it makes sense that you wouldn't want to re-watch it while the season's airing. I still say it would be a great project for you to do after the last box set comes out though.

Oliver said...

I will strongly consider it, and I expect a few Lost-related posts will show up on here while this last season plays out. I would have made a post on the first episode, but I only just saw it yesterday and so I thought that it would be a little irrelevant.