Friday, July 3, 2009

Johnny Depp Wears a Hat: The Motion Picture

I'm almost totally ashamed that I've seen so few of Michael Mann's films. Ever since I lost my Netflix account I've been falling behind on these things, but I positively love Collateral, Heat and Last of the Mohicans. I've heard nothing but good things about Thief and The Insider. Collateral appeals to so many of my own favorite themes and aesthetic choices: two protagonists, a narrative unfolding over one night, blah blah blah. In addition, Jaime Foxx and Tom Cruise give performances that are, quite possibly, the best of their careers. Similarly, Heat was the last jolt of life in the floundering careers of Pacino and De Niro (although Pacino would get Insomnia a few years later), and has what very well may be the greatest action sequence of the 90's.

So, as I'm sure you can imagine, I was wetting myself in anticipation for this movie. Did it live up to my expectations? Yes. Yes, it politely met my expectations. Shook their hand and was on its way. It couldn't have been politer about it. At no point did this film exceed my expectations or go beyond the call of duty. But that's okay. My expectations for this film were reasonably high, and I'm very happy that my expectations were met at all.

Public Enemies weaves the tale of John Dillinger, notorious Indiana bank robber who essentially ruled the fantasies of Depression-era America and his cat-and-mouse game with the original FBI G-Man Melvin Pruvis.

I don't know how true-to-life this movie is, but Melvin Purvis shot himself in 1960, and if we're going by the movie's characterization of him, I imagine that the only reason he did that was so that he could personally punch Satan in the balls. After Satan fell over on the ground and started crying, Melvin Purvis tore off his wings like a kid playing with a fly and strapped them to his back. According to my research, Melvin Purvis then became Satan and created the modern vision of Hell, basing it on his recurring nightmare of bears that can read.

Christian Bale is a much better actor than people tend to give him credit for these days, and while that's pretty understandable after his incredibly static, black hole of a performance in Terminator Salvation, he seems inclined to become cinema's new whipping boy. He isn't about to blow audiences away in Public Enemies, but he does remind us why his slow drawl and steely gaze make him such a brilliant leading man. But Jesus Christ, according to this movie, Melvin Purvis was single-handedly responsible for taking down every bank robber in the world, ending the Great Depression and winning World War III.

Johnny Depp, similarly, is more energetic and charismatic, making him a great Dillinger and an even better foil for Bale. In fact, they're really a perfect match-up and is a great example of how great casting can improve the drama of a film. He's a very good Dillinger, but he doesn't set the world on fire. It's probably the straightest Depp has played a role since Finding Neverland. That doesn't make it a lesser performance, it just means that it lacks all the exciting ticks and quirks that make Johnny Depp one of the premiere actors of his generation.

And I'd comment on Marion Cotillard, but I'm pretty sure the fact that I'm in love with her makes me biased.

But let's shoot the elephant in the room: the cinematography. It wasn't as jarring as I thought it would be most of the time. The opening scene is very rock-and-roll and the clarity of the digital photography is almost other-worldly. The dialogue scenes and action scenes looked fine for the most part, but tracking shots really brought out the motion blur-free effect that is the most noticeably ugly aspect of the process.

There's a trade off, though. The night scenes look beautiful, and the digital cameras capture muzzle flashes like nothing I've ever seen before. I simply wish the day scenes would be dressed up to look like traditional film or shot on traditional film like Mann did in Collateral. When I could tell it was digital, it was because it looked ugly.

But none of that matters because this film contains what may be the greatest action scene of the summer in a shootout that takes place in a cabin. I immediately wanted to watch the entire film again just to see that scene for a second time. Further proof that Michael Mann can blow my mind without even trying, and it bears his distinctive fingerprints.

Ultimately, it's a bit of a sterile experience, but it's got some interesting experimentation, a trio of very good performances at its center and the best action of the summer, and that's good enough to justify my $7. No one is doing the best work of their career, but when you have a group of artists this talented, they don't have to be doing the best work of their career to outshine most other things out there. It was fun and interesting at the same time, which is something that more summer movies should aspire to be.

8/10

15 comments:

Devin D said...

Burn. It is I, checking in.

Let me start off by say that Michael Mann's entire filmography is a must. He is one of my all-time favorites. Collateral, in particular. It happens to be one of those films I never get sick of. It's the film that made me like Tom Cruise.

Oliver said...

I remember buying Collateral for $6 on a whim and watching it every day for a week. The whole thing is quite amazing to me, even now. I love the way time is compressed, I love the way Michael Mann edits the shit out of his movies, turning even the most basic shots into...fireworks displays (it's the 4th of July, okay?). The way he cuts to these throw-away shots that seem to have the same amount of care put into them as any of the other shots in the film.

And just the way LA looks is marvelous. It has as much personality as any of the great fictional or fictionalized cities in film history.

And how's it going, Devin? Long time no see.

Devin D said...

It's been okay. I was laid off a few months ago and have been having trouble finding work, but that's given me a lot of time to write (which I am just now taking advantage of).

As for the movies... Did Moon come to your city? I think you're really going to enjoy this film. I live near San Francisco, so we got it a few weeks ago. However, I am still eagerly awaiting The Hurt Locker.

Oliver said...

I haven't had either of those films come to my city, and I've been going fucking dogshit. I've been trying to convince people to take me to Indianapolis or Chicago to see Moon because my car has a bad clutch and probably wouldn't make it that far.

Do you have AIM or MSN?

PS - Where did you work and how soon do you want it burned down? I might get a job at a library. Oh boy.

Devin D said...

I used to go on AIM, and am thinking about making my grand return... but with so much free time, I don't know.

I still have one job - at a library, actually. However, I don't get many hours there. I was contracted through Cisco systems, but when they had to make cut-backs, it was a short conversation I had with my boss.

"You're - what? - 19?"
"20."
"Do you have a family to support?"
"Nope."
"Adios."

Oliver said...

You should have made up an uncle that lost a leg in Vietnam. I always tell people I have an uncle that lost a leg in Vietnam, and if people ask to meet him, I introduce them to a chair in my living room and just start carrying on a conversation about Hill 39.

I have no jobs. I'm down to my last $50 and I don't know how much longer I'll be able to see movies in theaters. I had a girlfriend who was a literal millionaire for about a year, but after a while we realized we were both just cheating on each other. So no more cash cow.

Anyway, if you make your grand return to AIM, do let me know at Mr Saraneth. I've been looking for more people of the "intellectual, cinema-educated" type to converse with and haven't had any luck in any of the circles of people I know. I talk to 17 Year Old Blogger on AIM, but that's about it.

Michael B. said...

I'm 18 and dead (according to the US government)

So I guess this is where all the cool people are at.

What's up Devin?

Oliver said...

GUYS, I should have a Twister review up in a few days to tide everyone over for my big Bruno review this Friday. Get excited because Twister is a fucking amazing movie.

Devin D said...

Twister has an amazing supporting cast. Todd Field's in it. Yeah, he is.

And hey 18. Long time, no see. Yes, I guess the cool people are here now. I'm glad we have someplace to put up with the troublingly long absence of Andy over at Everything Oscar.

Allow me to thank our host, The Goddamn Burn/Reading.

So... John Lithgow's going to be on Dexter. Awesome, right? I thought so.

Oliver said...

I haven't watched Dexter because I've been watching Lost, but I JUST now finished the fifth season and have been thinking about what I should watch next. Recommendations? I'd be happy to give Dexter a spin, but I was thinking Fringe, because I'm going to have to get my Abrams fix somehow.

Oliver said...

Oh, and Jeremy Davies is a favorite actor of mine at the moment, and he's in Twister, even if he barely has a line. He's so fascinating to look at. Plus Phillip Seymour Hoffman was in it. And I have something else for tonight, so unless I'm feeling the need to enterprise my eyes out tonight, I think I'll push Twister back a bit.

Devin D said...

I was actually going to ask if you watch Lost. I just finished season 4 and opted out of reading your open letter.

Oliver said...

Ah, yes. I'll add a disclaimer about spoilers. How thoughtless of me. Tell me, did you like season four?

Devin D said...

Honestly, Season 4 was my least favorite - even though Davies, Fahey and Leung all joined the cast. Those three men portray three of my new favorite characters. And not a moment too soon, for I had become increasingly irritable with a handful of the original cast members.

And then there's Michael Emerson. Once Lost is through, I wouldn't mind seeing him in half a dozen movies a year - a la John C. Reily in 2002, not Michael Madsen (though nothing against the man behind Mr. Blonde).

Okay, okay - so six is a bit much. I just really enjoy watching him work.

Oliver said...

He makes a goddamn great sociopath. If you want, I could hook you up with some high quality downloads of Lost. Normally I avoid these things, but damn it, it's ABC's fault their stream sucks so much, so don't blame me if I start looking in other places.

And yes, I agree, season four was pretty weak comparatively, but I forgive it because it was a victim of the writer's strike.

But I should say no more on the subject of Davies and Leung and all them, because I fear I'll give too much away.