Wednesday, September 16, 2009

These Are Things I'm Interested in Right Now


Zack Galifianakis


The saddest, most deadpan of all comedians. It almost breaks your heart to watch him perform. He's like Demetri Martin, but with edge and an interesting persona. Not only was he by far the best thing about The Hangover, he has all the makings of a great, great actor. His series "Between Two Ferns" is one of the funniest things the evil scientist's laboratory of mediocrity Funny or Die has ever concocted.



Patton Oswalt


Patton Oswalt is the funniest comedian I've ever seen. Period. He's the best performer, the best writer. His comedy drifts between almost avant-garde material (ie: his piece on reality TV) and more standard comedy fare (his piece on airplanes and specifically Jet Blue), and the weird thing is they're both equally incredible. Neither one feels like a concession. He's just that good. A lot of people I've talked to about Patton Oswalt don't think he's very good, like my own brother (traitor), and to me, that's bananas. His act isn't a giant dick joke, and it's not so deadpan that it almost ceases to be comedy. It's the perfect balancing act of every style of comedy, and again, not one time is it a compromise.




Star Trek: The Original Series


Despite its hit-or-miss quality, and despite the fact that it stars William "I rape a crewmember in one episode" Shatner, its good episodes are fucking fantastic. Its character interactions, especially those between Kirk and Spock, are first-rate, thanks to the writing and especially thanks to Leonard Nimoy. While there are episodes like the one with the race of space hippies and the race of space gangsters, there are also episodes like The City on the Edge of Forever that rank among the finest in film or television to come out of the 1960's. So far I've enjoyed several episodes of the Original Series more than any of the films.



The Antichrist Trailer


Because I'm totally ready to have my eyeballs melted by this movie. If I finish my Star Trek retrospective and my Michael Bay retrospective before Antichrist hits my local theaters (I have the 2-at-a-time Netflix, I have to share it with my family, and they started sending me shit from the middle of my queue), I'll have to do a retrospective on Lars Von Trier because, believe it or not, I've never seen a one of his films.



Tom Waits


I don't have to explain this, do I? Every now and then I'll just start listening to him exclusively. Specifically I've been listening to Closing Time and Orphans. It's a shame that he'll have to die before he's recognized as the greatest American lyricist of the latter half of the 20th century.

Tom Waits - Martha
Found at skreemr.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahaha, wow that Zack Galifianakis interview of John Ham was just halarious.

Devin D said...

Tom Waits. Yes.